The 5 Subjects on the GED Test

Everyone that takes the General Equivalency Diploma test has their strengths and weaknesses when it comes to mastering the five subjects on the test. If you are preparing to take your GED test, getting a better understanding of each subject of the test will help you study more efficiently and with less stress. Some subjects may be easy for you and others may be tough, but knowing your strengths and weaknesses will make you a better test-taker. The five subjects of the GED are not complicated, but you should take a GED class to study and practice to master all of them.

Reading

The Reading section of the test evaluates the test-takers’ ability to read a text closely, pick out important details, and make logical assumptions about the information given. About 75% of the texts are informational and workplace related. The other 25% is from English literature, like poetry or short stories. The texts are between 450 and 900 words, approximately one to two pages.

Writing

The Writing section of the test challenges test-takers to write clearly and use English grammar properly within a variety of contexts. The section has changed slightly because of the new computerized test format of 2014, and candidates must be able to use a keyboard in order to perform well on this section of the test. The three main factors in your score on this section are your ability to create an analytical argument using evidence, develop your idea with proper structure, and competence with English grammar and spelling. Test-takers will receive a body of text and must develop an argument or point about the information that can be supported with textual evidence.

General_Educational_Development

Mathematics

The Mathematics section of the GED test has two basic types of questions: solving algebra equations and finding exact, quantitative solutions. 55% of the questions are algebra and the other 45% involves finding the right answer to a problem. With the new computerized test, candidates are given a calculator to use on-screen. Question formats include multiple-choice and fill in the blank.

Science

The Science section of the official GED test is broken into three general categories of science: physical science, life science, and earth/space science. 40% of the questions are about physical sciences, 40% are about the life sciences, and 20% are about earth and space sciences. Most questions provide an informative diagram or a short text and candidates must make accurate conclusions to provide correct answers.

Social Studies

The four main sections that comprise the Social Studies section of the GED are based on United States history, economics, civics and government, and geography. There are multiple-choice questions and fill in the blank questions. 50% of the questions are based on the government and civil rights, 20% are based on United States history, 15% is designated for questions on economics, and the last 15% is based on geography.

 

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *